Re: RadioShack

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Hans Scholze by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hanscs-at-eagle.ptialaska-dot-net>

> Ted,
>
> I am going to have to dissagree.  Talking like that will
> scare off people with little money (like me).  I built my
> first coil for nothing. Ok, maybe I bought a few rolls of
> electrical tape but other than that all the parts were
> either salvaged or laying around the house.  It was built in
> a cardboard box with saltwater caps, a static gap, OBIT
> power, 12 ga. primary, and a secondary wound with wire from
> a scrapped solenoid.  I only managed 6-8 inch sparks, but it
> was a great starting point.
>
> Hans

	I agree with Hans!  When I was a kid growing up in a very small
Missouri town I made several coils which were satisfying to me (at least
at that time).  Since I had just about NO money at all, I just have been
able to scrounge up the stuff.  "Ford coils" were available free at the
junk yard, old glass photographic plates could be had for nothing, plate
glass could be had for very little, and I don't remember where foil came
from.  Wire came from the ringers of old "country phones" available in
the basement of the phone company, etc.  It was a great big deal when
one of my friends found a couple of small NST's in the remains of a
burned down tavern.  (I still have one after more than 60 years.)

	Bottom line is that cost should'nt scare anyone away.

Ed