Re: what is "power factor rating?"

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

joseph,
when i wound my 3000 turn coil i wanted to get the wire length a little
longer then the quarter wavelength of the 34 khz of the coil, just to
see if any top wire heating or problems resulted. well it fires just
fine, i never got a chance to pull the 50 turns off to bring it under
the QWL for comparison, but i think everyone is correct in saying that
that is a myth.
power factor correction just brings the current phase angle that is
lagged by the inductor back into sync. with the voltage phase angle.
an inductive circuit causes the current to lag the voltage and a
capacative circuit cause the current to lead the voltage.
so when you correct the power factor your just adding capacitance to
bring the two back in phase witch causes a somewhat ideal current draw.
marc