From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 6:33 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: safety gaps at high power

In a message dated 1/4/01 9:43:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> BTW, my pig is externally bal-
>  lasted with an arc welder. Comments anyone?
>
>  David Rieben

David,

That behavior is normal for a pig or PT powered TC.  There's
not much real need for a safety gap on such a system, except
to protect it in case something goes really wrong.  For instance
if the gap slows down, and voltage starts building up resonantly,
that sort of thing.  At least it lets you know if the voltage goes
too high for some reason.

John Freau