Re: twin coil system

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <wysock-at-ttr-dot-com>

Hello Bob and all.

Your interest in twin coil systems is noted.  So is Brian Basura's
work.  You might be interested in viewing the pictures of my
Model 12, Mini Model 12, and the paper I wrote about the
large Model 12 dual coil system.  I developed this twin coil
system in early 1992, and it was exhibited (ten shows over
a 5 day period) during the 1992 International Tesla Society's
bi-annual symposium.  Model 12 was operated indoors inside
a large auditorium.  The pictures of this and the article can
be seen at: www.ttr-dot-com.  This system even predates Ed
Wingate's and Robert Steven's twin coil systems.

In my design, there was only ONE COMMON primary tank
circuit, with the two Tesla primary coils in series, and a
balanced open air transmission line system feeding these,
with the common tank capacitance in the middle on one side
of the transmission line, and the SRSG in the middle on the
other side.  The two primary coils were wound in the same
direction; however, the two secondary coils were wound
in opposite directions, thus insuring that at any given
moment, the polarities of each would also be opposite.
Great care had to be taken that the two secondary coils
had exactly the same number of turns and the same amount
of self inductance.  Also noteworthy, was that fact that the
two grounding points for the secodnary coils was placed
physically exactly in the middle of the two coils, as far
as electrical "lenght" was concerned.  Model 12's best
performance was in excess of 40 feet (straight line measure)
from one corona point to the other.  This coil system was
perminently installed at a private research facility in Japan,
in mid 1993.

Best regards,
Bill Wysock.

> Date:          Sat, 06 Jan 2001 19:22:29 -0700
> From:          "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       twin coil system

> Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>

> Hi All,
> As  I now have a source of wire for the second  9.5" 45"  secondary of
> my planned twin system (thanks Duncan) thought it might be useful to
> read the thread on winding direction. I still don't know whether to wind
> the new secondary in the same direction or the opposite direction. Any
> ideas? Could someone recommend the best way to connect a twin system.
> Should I just make a mirror of the first coil and connect the primaries
> together. If I do that how should I ground the secondaries? Or should I
> make another completely separate system with say two spark gaps running
> on  the same shaft of  one sync motor and sharing the transformer and
> ballast's. What is the consensus on twin systems. I feel I still have a
> lot to learn about the subtleties of tuning before I tackle a magnifier
> so I thought this might be a good halfway house. I can't really wind the
> secondary till the weather gets warmer anyway but thought I would start
> planning now at least as I should have al the parts together soon. Don't
> know what happened to the table top coil. Give a man some space...;-))
> like a museum, or aircraft hanger, oh no not an aircraft hanger please.
>
> cheers
> bob golding

Tesla Technology Research