Re: Poor mans SRSG? Adjusting SRSG without Variac?

In a message dated 1/7/01 5:44:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Without access to a machine shop, is it feasible to do the motor
>  modification to convert an AC motor (1725 rpm) to salient pole
>  synchronous (1800 rpm)?  What's the minimal set of tools required to do
>  the job?
>
>  Also, if I did manage to do the modification, is there some way to get
>  by without a variac, as far as adjusting the spark gap is concerned?
>
>   Thanks,
>   Bill Vanyo  (planning first coil)

Bill,

the motor can be easily modified with just a large file.  Takes awhile
though.  It helps if you have a drill press, and can drill some holes
to the right depth into the area to be removed, so there's less metal
to file away.   Another method is to use an electric angle grinder.

As far as adjusting the sync phase, the variac method is something
new, and is not required.  The old way is simply to rotate the motor
in it's cradle, or build an arm that moves and holds the fixed electrodes,
or shift the rotor relative to the motor shaft.  If you mean you want
remote phase capability.  the easiest way to do this is to install
an arm on the motor, and then use a long 1/2" pvc pipe to push
or pull on the arm to move the phase while you remain at a safe
distance from teh coil.

John Freau