Re: Problems & DC drive solutions

Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

I am considering building something similar. Mine will employ what I think
use to be called DC resonance, what ever that is. Radar modulators used
them. DC fed to a charging choke and the choke feeds the primary coil
capacitor. The choke isolates the capacitor from any components RF wise in
the dc supply. When dc is first applied to the charging choke, the capacitor
it feeds will charge up to twice the DC voltage at a time depending on the
Inductance and capacitance values. The idea is to fire the spark gap at that
point and the dc charging begins all over again. The charging choke will be
the difficult item to come by. Its construction will be similar to that in
HV transformers NST etc. I think such a set up would be amiable to RSPs and
it would be most efficient. No ballast required etc. Does this approach
sound reasonable. Oh yes, I do recall rotary spark gaps on various Radars of
the 40's and 50's.  The US Navy SO radar on small auxiliary ships and
tankers and the US Army TPS-1b.radar.  Does that ring any bells?

Chuck