Re: Depotting NST - Help!

Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Hans Scholze by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hanscs-at-eagle.ptialaska-dot-net>

> Bill,
>
> I recently depotted three dead OBITs.  I just chipped the
> tar off very cautiously with a sharpened screwdriver.  I
> mashed it into the secondary of the first one, but after I
> had an idea how they were put together it went OK.  Then I
> soaked them in gasoline (outside, of course).  Of the two
> remaining, one partially worked (about half the output of a
> good one) and the other was still dead.

Mine was good to begin with - hope I didn't kill it, but nothing
ventured, nothing gained.  The parts are still soaking now, so I don't
know yet.

> I decided to try
> completly disassembling the half-good one, but it never
> worked at all after that.  I am wondering if most people
> just leave the cores together after cleaning or if anyone
> has had sucess taking them all the way apart.

This site:

http://www.personal.u-net-dot-com/~hills2/tesla/neon.htm

has info on complete disassembly and reassembly.  It doesn't mention
anything about the secondaries having paper layers though.  I'm a little
worried about them now being thoroughly soaked in mineral spirits.  I
can't imagine them ever drying out.

> To answer you
> question about the secondary, it has alternating layers of
> wire and paper, with a few extra layers of paper on the
> outside (discoverey made when I drove the screwdriver into
> one :-0

Another question: When I put the secondaries back on, do they go in
opposite or like rotations?  There was too much tar to tell how they
were when I took them apart.

	Thanks,
	- Bill Vanyo