Re: Ryan's Coil = DOA :(

In a message dated 1/10/01 10:19:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Hi All.  But did not Tesla and old time coilers always say that we should
>  use the thinnest wall possible in our secondaries?  Seems that Richard
>  Quick also recommended using the thinnest wall form possible.  And Tesla
>  got great results with skeleton frame wound secondary coils. (check out
>  his big secondary at Colorado Springs).  Maybe we should not rely so much
>  on these new plastics and give skeleton forms a try?  Wood&Paper worked
>  for Tesla and they work well for me.  The more things change, the more
>  they stay the same!    AL.

Al, all,

Things stay the same for those who are not willing to advance the
Tesla coil art.  Remember what Gorbachev said, "trust but verify".
We must recheck the work of coilers to verify their results.  It's
called peer review.  Imagine if we never moved away from our
cave-man days.  Anyone can make statements such as, "so and
so said this or that".  It is only by doing correct research that we
discover better ways of doing things.  I think it's a lot more valuable
to do true research rather than repeating what other coilers
said.  In reality the form doesn't make much difference as long as
it's reasonable in quality.

John Freau