Re: Re: Ryan's Coil = DOA :(

Original poster: "Albert Hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi John, and all list members.  I have never made a true skeleton frame
air core secondary.  But have you attempted to make one of them for
yourself?  I am going to apply some non computer logic here.  Seems the
"Q" of the air core coil would be somewhat enhanced by having a skeleton
frame or no frame at all. After all, every little bit of efficiency we
can garner, no matter how minuscule a gain we can achieve it is still
nonetheless a gain and can be applied to the overall efficiency and
streamer output length or power transmission capacity of the Tesla coil.
Is this not what list members are striving for in their computer modeled
programs?  Imagine a secondary/tertiary coil wound around a slim paper
tube, then apply coats of poly/epoxy/fiberglass/shellac or whatever to
the exterior of the coil and let it set up hard.  Then unpeel the
interior paper form until you had only a solid column of copper magnet
wire, supported only by the resin that was applied to the outside portion
of the coil. You could use a release agent or wax paper or UHMW slippery
sheet film between the wire and the expendable form so that it would peel
away easily.  The UHMW film sheet could also be used as a stand alone
form, that could easily be removed once the air core coil binding resins
had set up. And;  Would this not result in a somewhat superior coil?
Since it would now be very,very nearly a true 'air coupled coil' with no
plastic tube or cardboard to get in the way of the coupling. No lossy
materials in the core to induce arcing or carbon tracking.  I mean, air
directly to air would give the absolute best coil would it not?    Not
only that, there would also be no tantamount losses endured by the use of
any type of "lossy" coil form that probably 99.9% of coilers use now,
myself included;  whether it be plastic/paper/bakelite or whatever.
This is why I stand my ground and adamantly say that Tesla would most
likely embrace a free standing air coil if he had access to the modern
resins that we take for granted today. Tesla would not be one to tolerate
'carbon' tracking in his coils.  Also, a small amount of efficiency
gained in a small coil can easily become 100's if not 1,000's of watts
extra output in the giant scale of what Tesla had envisioned for world
power at Wardenclyffe.   Al.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:00:51 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> In a message dated 1/10/01 10:19:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>

> >  Hi All.  But did not Tesla and old time coilers always say that
> we should
> >  use the thinnest wall possible in our secondaries?  Seems that
> Richard
> >  Quick also recommended using the thinnest wall form possible.
> And Tesla
> >  got great results with skeleton frame wound secondary coils.
> (check out
> >  his big secondary at Colorado Springs).  Maybe we should not rely
> so much
> >  on these new plastics and give skeleton forms a try?  Wood&Paper
> worked
> >  for Tesla and they work well for me.  The more things change, the
> more
> >  they stay the same!    AL.
>
> Al, all,
>
> Things stay the same for those who are not willing to advance the
> Tesla coil art.  Remember what Gorbachev said, "trust but verify".
> We must recheck the work of coilers to verify their results.  It's
> called peer review.  Imagine if we never moved away from our
> cave-man days.  Anyone can make statements such as, "so and
> so said this or that".  It is only by doing correct research that we
> discover better ways of doing things.  I think it's a lot more
> valuable
> to do true research rather than repeating what other coilers
> said.  In reality the form doesn't make much difference as long as
> it's reasonable in quality.
>
> John Freau

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.