Formless secondaries Was: RE: Ryan's Coil = DOA :(

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Matt and Mike!

Date: 11 January 2001 04:56
Subject: Re: Ryan's Coil = DOA :(

>Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmnovak-at-email.msn-dot-com>

>I had the very same thought not too long ago... Only I was
thinking of using
>a pvc pipe covered in oil, then a layer of maybe 10 mils of
polypropylene
>followed by a liberal coat of "pour-on". Then, after the
coil is wound and
>coated, the PVC should slip right out with little
hesitation. However, there
>is the problem of lost rigidity. I will attempt this as
late as next fall,
>but no sooner than this summer. I'll let you all know...
>
>-Mike Novak
>
>> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>
>>
>> Hmmm...Anybody thought of making a secondary with NO
form?Well at first
>use a
>> form but use some kind of compound to hold it together
like papermache
>over
>> the form and then slide it off and remove the paper.This
would be diff.
>and
>> fragile but I leave it up to those who have time and
MONEY for this sorta
>> thing.
>>
>> just a thought,
>> matt

I would suggest if you want to try this that if at all
possible you taper the form which you want to slide out.
That way, as it begins to slide, so the clearance increases
and it slides yet easier still.  It's like extracting spent
cases from your rifle.  Straight sided cases tend to give
"sticky extraction" because the bearing surface maintains
contact all the way until the case is completely clear of
the chamber, whilst a bit of taper (nothing excessive - a
few degrees will do) aids things immensely, reducing
considerably the amount of "oomph" needed to get things
moving.  With the coil being perhaps a little fragile this
may well be a useful aid to success.  Just a thought.

Dunckx