Re: Poulsen Arcs

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Ed!

Date: 11 January 2001 19:26
Subject: Re: Poulsen Arcs

>Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Thanks for the info Ed!  The references I have are:

http://www.sfmuseum-dot-org/hist/poulsen.html
http://www.ieee-dot-org/organizations/history_center/oral_histor
ies/transcripts/fuller31.html
http://hjem.get2net.dk/helthansen/poulsenarc.htm
http://home.luna.nl/~arjan-muil/radio/poulsen.html
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/poulsen/
http://www.angelfire-dot-com/nc2/whitetho/1908poul.htm

>Tesla list wrote:
>>
> Will try to find the URL for you.

So if it isn't one of these, I am interested!

> I've built one very small and barely successful oscillator
here, using
>"carbons" from AAA cells running under kerosene and
operating at about
>an amp at 120 VDC. No magnetic field. Thing oscillated up
to 2 MHz. with
>a signal which could be heard as a "gurgly" note (no
surprise!) with RX
>BFO on. At about 200 kHz the circulating current in the
tank was a
>couple of amps, but couldn't draw any power from it at all.

That's interesting.  Could it be the loaded Q was a bit low?
Usually if the loaded Q is under 4 or 5 things get tricky
coupling the power, but I expect I'm teaching you how to
suck eggs on that ;-)

>Lousy
>design, but just the initial experiment to see if I could
make one work
>at all.  What got me started on the project was a memory of
an ad in a
>QST from very early 20's for a "200 meter arc generator".
Believe the
>ad was from AMRAD, but have searched in vain for it for
some time.
>Pretty sure it wasn't my imagination, but ........
>
> If you're interested in arc generators I have a bunch of
useful
>references,IF you don't already have them, and at least a
couple of old
>construction articles.
>
>Ed

Always interested in stuff like this. The last of the above
URLs has a photo of a Tesla coil inside a Poulsen station
being used to indicate the rf output - looks like the sort
of sparks you get from a valve coil - no surprises!

Thanks Ed, much appreciated.

Dunckx