Re: Ideal Motor for SRSG???

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-ezlink-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/12/01 2:02:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "M Fabs by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <the_
> machin_shin-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>  What is the consensus on the IDEAL motor to use for an SRSG modification?
>
>  I would like an 1800rpm final speed, and enough power to handle an 8"
>  diameter, 1/4" thick GPO3 rotor with 4 electrodes.
>
>  What type (Cap Start/Run, Cap Start, Ind Start, Shaded pole...) would be
>  best?
>
>  I'm getting a new motor, and I would like to do it right the first time.
>
>  Thanks folks.
>
>  By the way, I just ordered two variacs and a few ceramic insulators from
>  Surplus Sales; can't wait to get them!
>
>  MPF

MPF,

I would consider using 3/8" thick material for stability for the rotor.
The size and weight of the electrodes will have a bearing on the size of
motor required.  There is no particular best motor because any of the
motors you mentioned will work fine.  The cap-start, or cap-run
types will be physically smaller for a given HP.  If the electrodes
are not too heavy, then even a 1/10 HP motor is enough, although
many folks like to use a more powerful motor such as 1/4HP.
Cap-start motors have a lot of starting torque.  It would appear
from recent work I did, that the 4 flats can be as small as 1/4 the
armature diameter.  You'll be starting out with a 1725, or 1750 rpm
motor which will jump to 1800 synchronous when it's modified.

John Freau