Re: SRSG disk material

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Bill, All,

 Cutting board material should be avoided for RSG's, because it
tends to deform at a pretty low temperature.  Lexan (polycarbonate)
works very well, and I have used it up to a few KVA with no
problems.  At anything over 2kva, you'll want to keep an eye on it,
as the flying electrodes can heat up pretty good.  G-10 is the
ultimate solution for a disc, but GP03 works just as well, costs
less, and is a *whole* lot easier to machine.  Both GP03 and G-10
are fiberglass, but G-10 is made of long fibers, whereas GP03 is
more of a "chopped mat-glass-fiber".  In RSG duty, either one will
work.  I prefer GP03 because it's easier on tools, but it's still
no walk in the park!  It eats jigsaw blades like candy, and
generally requires carbide or diamond-tipped tools to prevent
almost-instant dulling.)

  GPO3 and G-10 you can order from McMaster Carr
(www.mcmastercarr-dot-com), and Lexan you can get at Home Depot.  I use
the 1/4" Palsun brand Polycarbonate sheet, the 17x24 or something
like that (I can't remember exactly).  Polycarbonate machines
super-easy, is *VERY* tough to impacts and fairly resistant to
heat.  For a first RSG, I'd recommend going with an 1800 RPM motor
if you can.  They are less picky about balancing ('cause they run
slower), and pose less of a hazard of flying parts in case
something goes horribly wrong.

  So hit up Home Depot for some 1/4" polycarbonate ($17 a sheet I
believe), and an adjustable circle-cutter (be careful with this
thing!!!)  That'll give you a nice round disc to start with.  From
there, it's practice and brain-work!  Feel free to ask more
questions! :)
                                                    Shad