Re: primary in secondary

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:06:50 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> > Has anyone ever attempted putting the primary coil INSIDE the
> secondary?...

[snipped]

> Electrum's primary coil is actually fully immersed in the secondary;
> that is, the secondary winding terminates about 4.5 inches below the
> base of the primary winding.  A 5/8" thick PVC sleeve isolates the
> two windings.  The primary winding has 10 turns total, with tuning
> taps at turns 8,9, and 10.  Turn #9 is typically employed.
>
> A pic of the primary coilform:
> http://www.lod-dot-org/electrum/pricoil.jpg
>
> Had I the choice, I would have preferred a much larger primary
> winding,
> located outside the secondary.  A primary coil that is wide compared
>
> with the secondary provides a much more uniform magnetic field
> across
> the entire secondary, utilizing the whole secondary more
> effectively.
> --
> -GL
> www.lod-dot-org

When the primary is larger in diameter than the secondary, causing an
annular gap to exist between them, would not some of the magnetic "lines"
pass between the two coils, thus not "cutting" the secondary turns, and
thus not acting to induce secondary voltage?  I'd think that primary and
secondary being concentric (of course), of the same nominal diameter, and
close together would lead to the highest efficiency.  Those more
experienced correct me if I'm wrong.

Ken Herrick
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.