Re: 3-1000z tube coil survived 1st light.

Original poster: "David Trimmell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>

Hi Ross,

Great performance for a first go (and only raw AC)! I looked at your Web
Page and noticed your question of how hot your Vac tube should get. You may
appreciate a answer too a similar question I asked the list a while back:

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1997/february/msg00733.html

One thing I would recommend would be to add DC current monitoring of the
grid. Your reporting of a 100 watt resistor over heating may suggest a
higher grid R, grid C is not too critical (1000 - 4000 pF). Oh, yeah, the
ceramic caps do drop C with age (use).

On the note of RF ground: Sounds like you have plenty. I find many (on this
list) over emphasize the need for a RF ground suitable for a multi kilowatt
transmitter >100MHz, for use in a <1MHz Tesla (Vac or spark) coil. Over
measuring and calculating here is a waste of time, as many other factors
will influence actual coil performance.

Good work (and documentation!),

Regards,

David Trimmell