Re: More destroyed NST's How do I remove stubborn tar?

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Eng.Sun-dot-com>

I unpotted my NST by buying a cookie cooling rack and a large metal
pan at a grocery store, placing the NST upside down on the rack on the pan
on my outdoor gas barbeque (Lowest heat setting) with the lid down (if
your bbq does not have a lid this probably wont work). Only leave it on
there about 30 minutes, until some, but not all, the tar flows out. If you
leave it on till all the tar flows out you will burn the paper insulation
between the windings.

Use a popsicle stick, or file the handle end of a toothbrush into a chisle,
to scrape off most of the rest of the tar while it is still hot.

* Then buy a couple empty 1-gallon paint cans and one gallon of paint-thinner
* at a hardware store. Put the unpotted NST in an empty paint can, pour
* a half gallon of paint-thinner on it and then seal the lid on it and
* let it sit for a week. Then take it out and clean it with a tooth brush
* and a popsicle stick. Then stick it in the other empty paint can and pour
* the other half gallon of paint thinner on it and let it sit for another
* week. Lather-rinse-repeat-blowdry, no wait, thats for shampoo; well, you
* get the picture...

Patience is the key, and as others have said you must be CAREFUL of those
delicate secondary windings.

-Pete Lawrence.

(ps, when working with tar and solvent, cover everything withing six feet with
newspaper, and wear disposable clothes, neoprene gloves, and safety glasses).