Re: Update: Carbon Tracking on secondary help.

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Simon Yorkston by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <quantumx-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>

> Hi all.
>
> Well, I think my secondary has carbon tracking, and it's fatal.
>
> I had a look [it was worse than I remembered] - Its about 3-5 [at the most]
> cm wide, and about 20cm long. I tried sanding it; that did nothing but
> remove the surface carbon, but left thousands of little carbon / black
> holes.
>
> I guess the only option now is to redo the secondary? [The form is useless;
> I assume the wire is too]
>
> Looking on the bright side- at least this time, at least I won't make the
> same mistake next time.
>
> Thanks again,
> Simon
> [Please feel free to foward comiserations and donations of secondaries :) ]

	I salvaged a small (3.2" dia x 16" long) coil by using a stiff steel
brush to remove all of the carbon and burned form (shellacked paper in
this case) I could see.  Not as big an area as you seem to have, but
apparently burned through to the wire.  In spite of that, after using
cleaning as above and applying heavy coatings of shellac it seemed to
work quite well putting out the same 24" streamers it did before.  In
this case the original problem was stupidity on my part (having the
bottom of the secondary coming into the inside of the form).

Ed