Re: NST Shunt Bars

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Joshua Lovato by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jlovato-at-newmexico-dot-com>

> I have a question concerning current-limiting shunts on NSTs. I recently
> unpoted my 9/30 transformer and removed the 2 laminations it had for shunts,
> but I did not see significant increase in current. Would drilling into the
> core shunts, to increase the gap between them, increase the current output?
> I have a picture of the transformer at
> http://www15.brinkster-dot-com/thebytefiles/nst.html
>
> thanks,
> Josh

snipperzzz...

Hi Josh...

by drilling holes in the shunts and removing material from them,
theoretically   ( i luv that word)
...    it should reduce the amount of flux thru the shunts and therefore
increase the flux thru the
outer core assy.   If the core area of the outer section ( non shunt area)
isnt close to the saturation
point at normal running parameters, then you should see an increase in
output amperage BUT if the core
area is designed to be at or near saturation with the shunts as they were
originally designed, any major
modification to the shunts will cause an increase of primary amperage draw
and no additional secondary
amperage increase (( core saturation)). The results are normally an over
heated primary or primary
burnout

the reason why you didnt see much increase by removing 2 laminates is
because the air gap produced by
the removal wasnt quite enuf...   if you were to remove about 30 - 50% of
the shunt material then you
would see an increase of an appreciable amount  ( +10 thru 20% output amperage)

Scot D