Re: getting three phase power

Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Can anyone give me ONE good reason why you would need/want to power a Tesla
> coil with 3-phase?? All this talk of trying to get 3 phase service to your
> home, telling the power company you have a 10 hp motor you need to power...
> stuff like that...gimme a break....a Tesla coil is a decidedly SINGLE phase
> device.   You may argue that creating the DC for a VTTC might be a little
> better using 3 phase, but even that would hardly justify the $THOUSANDS$ of
> dollars needed to bring 3 phase service to the average home.  IMHO we should
> let the 3 phase discussion thread die on the vine, there is ample fodder for
> discussion in tweaking, optimizing and theorizing about our single phase
> coils.  Coil safe
>
> Eric
> edavidson-at-icva.gov

Three phase power is by far the best prime power option, when
the required wall-plug draw is over about 20kW.  The primary
reasons for using three phase are:

Vastly improved power factor
Better phase load balancing
Lower mains current requirements.

Also, the unfiltered ripple of a three phase DC power supply
is only 14%, compared to 100% for a single phase supply.

I would be quite keen to get three phase power to my house,
but here they would probably install the Scott-T type with
the hot leg, which is only suitable for running motors.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org