Re: Sparks

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> Placing a grounded rod about 300mm from the terminal of my coil I get nice
> sparks similar in appearance to lightning. At the center of these sparks
> there is a 25mm segment which is much brighter than the rest. I would be
> most grateful for an explanation for this phenomena.

The current in sparks oscillate back and forth in high frequency (much
higher, and unrelated to the TC operating frequency). This may lead to
stationary waves in the spark, and sections where the current is more
intense. To verify if this is the case, try to vary the distance
between the rod and the terminal and see what happens to the bright
segment.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz