Re: Unpotting techniques... (The patience pecking order)

Original poster: "Chris Dobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cdobson-at-microtech-dot-com.au>

Hi Gary,

I'm sorry you have got worked up over this, but I'm sure the guys on the
list meant no offence, only the benefit of their experience.
I would just like to mention that this wonderful hobby of ours will test you
to the limit - - - I can't count how many times I have "given up" on
coiling, because a cap blew, or a NST died, etc etc. Luckily, I never took
the hammer to the coil in these situations, just packed 'em up, put 'em
away, and sheepishly returned to my favourite pastime ( which I have loved,
on and off, for close on 40 years) in six months time :^D
My two cents worth on your stubborn tar deposits : maybe its that silicone
type mixture or something, because of the three or four NST's that I have
depotted, the stuff has come off pretty well overnight in a barrel of
mineral spirits. Mind you - I dropped the core into the solvent while still
very hot from depotting - its a bit risky 'cos of the low flashpoint of
spirit, but I put a lid on straight away ;O0
Hope this helps,

Regards

Chris