starting a teletype motor

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello all!

I posted a wekk ago about finding a starting relay for my teletype motor.
They must be hard to come by, so I was wondering if the motor sould be
started via 2switches, one acting as a start relay and switched manually.
Obviously this COULD be done, but my real question is: would the motor have
to come up to full speed (synchronized) before disengaging the start winding?
and what might happen if it was in start mode for too long, or not long
enough? although I'm not sure if it is started in the same way, Hammond
organs had a "start" and "run" switch to start their sync motors. You simply
held the start switch on for a short time, and then hit the run switch. Any
info would be appreciated

Chris W