Re: H/D Ratio (and LTR)

In a message dated 1/21/01 7:13:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<Leik3-at-aol-dot-com>

>  John,
>  You recommended a 14nF cap, but when I run the numbers I get 5nF. Is there
>  something wrong with my calculations? (I've got 15/30 -at- 60Hz) Also talking
>  about the cap, you mentioned LTR. What does that stand for?? I'm not
>  familiar with that.
>  By the way, nice web page. I can only dream of a sync motor like yours!
>  Thanks,
>  Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for the nice comments.  LTR stands for larger than resonant.
By using a capacitor that is about 3 times larger than the resonant
size, it holds the voltage down, which stresses the NST less.  NST's
tend to be destroyed due to overvolting.  You can keep the static
gaps narrow, and hold down the voltage that way too, but sparks
will not be as long as using LTR.
Actually, if you plan to use a static gap, then 0.01uF would be large
enough.  The sync gap lets an even larger cap be used.

John