RE: HV Hookup Wire

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

8 awg wire would presumably be used for the gap/primary/cap interconnect,
and as such, should be kept short and direct.  The wire should be routed
such that it's not close enough to anything else that it could arc to it,
regardless of insulation.  So the insulation doesn't matter at all.  In
fact, many use uninsulated copper straps.

If you're talking about the hookups from the NST to the filter and gap, here
the wire gauge is unimportant, and 8awg would be needlessly heavy and bulky.
The hookup wire that neon signs use would be fine for this, but again,
unless the wire is so long that it has to drape over things that it could
arc to, you really don't need any insulation.  Just keep the wires short and
direct.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Leik3-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi,
Anyone know if the 8 awg that radioshack sells would work for some hookup
wire (15/30)? If not, what would work good? I've seen in some pictures what
seems to be relatively small (considering the voltage) gauge wire with
aligator clips for quick connects. Should I buy certified high voltage wire
maybe from a neon shop or will something else work?
Thanks for all the input,
Dennis