triggered spark gap in a vacuum?

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

 Hi all!

 I have a question about a triggered sparkgap in a vacuum, similar to the
thread on the home-made vacuum gaps.

 It would basically be the same as Brian and Ross's trigatron, only with
hookups to pull a vacuum on it, and the vent/backfill.  (so a hydrogen gap
can be tested better).

   The question I have is concerning radiation generation.  I only intend to
run up to 30kv DC on this, but as I understand it (limited knowledge, I'm a
computer geek, not a physicist), that's plenty enough voltage to generate
Xrays.  The electrodes will probably end up being tungsten carbide, with a
lot of aluminum and brass hardware.

  I don't like the idea of irraidating myself, nor having to explain to the
others in my house exactly *why* a spark gap has to be wrapped in lead
blankets :/  The idea of growing any more toes isn't too hot either ;)  I'm
not paranoid about getting a dose of xrays, but want to be informed as to
what I'm tinkering with.

  What are the pressures required in general for xray production, the
voltages and materials commonly involved?  I want to work with this, but I
don't want to put myself in any more danger (than the HV supplies, caps,
police, etc.)  The gap isn't designed yet, so there won't be any "Oops,
guess I'd better change that" involved.  I want to be fully informed what
I'm getting into with the thing.

									Thanks!               Shad