Re: Sparks - Bright in the middle, how to verify it - suggestion

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/22/01 7:16:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >snip- - -
> >> Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz
> ><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>
> >>
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> Placing a grounded rod about 300mm from the terminal of my coil I get
> nice
> >> sparks similar in appearance to lightning. At the center of these sparks
> >> there is a 25mm segment which is much brighter than the rest. I would be
> >> most grateful for an explanation for this phenomena.
> >>
> >> Chuck

Hi Chuck & All
I have noticed the same thing. The contrast seems greatest to me when running
low power (i.e. 12" pale lavender streamers) and the "center section" arc is
blue-white. As soon as I can talk my photographer (wife-type) into springing
for some ASA 1000 film, we'll try to capture these elusive beasts. I have no
idea what the cause is, but I don't believe it's an optical illusion.

Cheers,
Matt D.