Re: 811A any good?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cwillis-at-guilford.edu>

Hi tube coil folks,

I have a copy (from the mentioned book) of the 811-A specs on my website at

http://www.angelfire-dot-com/electronic/cwillis/811adata.zip

Hope it's helpful, and I hope that the copyright violation (if there is
any) is not a big deal.  Unfortunately these JPEGs are not the best and I
accidentally omitted the real nice curves given for this tube on the next
page.  From what I recall, the 811-a is supposed to have a colorless plate
at maximum dissipation, and I think input is pretty much limited to 200 W
if you want to stay in the ICAS ratings.  The 811-a circuit supplied at
this website was a fun one to play with but it is a potential tube killer.
It hasn't killed one yet for me, but it uses a "sputter" mode oscillation
combined with a high plate voltage.

Have fun with the tube coiling!

-Carl

Hi Jan!
     The 250 W is about the point where the plate starts to show a dull red
glow. If you can get a copy of the RCA technical manual TT-5 "Transmitting
Tubes - to 4KW Plate Input" it has all the specs. Reprints are available from
Antique Electronic Supply of Tempe Ariz.

Matt D.