Re: Pig Beautification and Craftsmanship

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>

> > I'm half tempted to depot this thing and make a REALLY sharp looking
>case
> > for it. hmmmmmmmmm it would take a ton of work, but it would definately
>be
> > worth it. Making an oil-tight case would be a SERIOUS pain....but
>imagine a
> > 10kVA power supply housed in a 1/8" thick stainless, diamondplate box
>with a
> > pair of BIG HV bushings on top......nice.
>
>Brian Basura made a cut down pig... same basic package, but with the middle
>of the can removed to make it shorter.
>
>Why not use aluminum for your box, rather than stainless.

Because the ONLY reason I would repot the Pig is for cosmetic purposes. It
will still be functionally the same thing. And while Al would look cool
(wouldn't have to paint it) the mirror finish of stainless diamondplate (for
those that don't know, think of a Firetruck's front bumper)would look
beautiful, high-tech, and a little menaceing :)

>Cheaper,

Donated either way, Alro is a sponsor, and in the amounts that we use (very
little) they probably don't even notice if I get 6 sheets of 1/8" stainless
DP.

>lighter, etc.

A LOT lighter, but this is going to be built into a cart anyways, and the
core contributes a lot more weight so the case is negligable. Total case
weight now (the can) is probably about 10lbs, adding 20 - 30 more is not a
big deal. It's already WAY more than my wimp butt can lift.

Naima Seales, Geek #0002 , C.F.O. and Corporate Pack Mule

Easier to weld.  You could also epoxy it together.

Epoxy the seams? Or just for sealing? Welding stainless is s serious pain
(we have to use the spool gun), but it's nothing too hard, and simple
construction. Here's 6 pieces....make a box...drill holes here, here, here,
here, and here for knockouts. The internal mounts are just weld-in nuts, the
only hard part is the top insulators. I have a large pair, about 4"dia with
a 1.25" thick solid copper bolt through them, but I don't know how to affix
the insulator itself to the case, it's just ceramic, similar to the HV side
of an NST without the latch-lip. Maybe epoxy? Ceramic-stainless.....fun.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org