Re: Polycap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Leik3-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi all,
Regarding the post by Paul, he (you) said that you used a single sheet of
.060" poly between the plates?? I read that the piercing voltage (is that
what it's called?) was 350V/mil. Is that about right?? Seems the PE would
break down. Here's what I did: I wanted to make this cap once, and make it
right (that's before I learned about flaming oil bombs etc..) so I used 28
layers of .040" PE between two plates of Aluminum flashing. This thing was
not easy to roll!!  The Al is centered all around the PE with two inches all
around it. I think this should take a cool 40kv assuming my numbers were
right.
Is there anyone out there that could tell me what the capacitence should be??
I'm measuring less than what I calculated-->0.005mF but it's not in oil yet.
It's a monster.        :)
Thanks,
Dennis