Re: Re[2]: Ryan's Coil = DOES NOT WORK!

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Ryan,

I'm puzzled by your problem.  I'm using two small 120v
MOTs in series with their secondaries shorted to limit
my 5kva pig to about 20A/240v input, and it works like
a trooper.  HV Power output is potent, yet quenchable
with a reasonably sturdy gap.  When I first got my
pig, I ballasted it with a 3KW shop heater, and it
worked much better than what you are describing--I got
a hot, flaming arc. Are you sure you have the primary
side wired correctly?  The first time I ever applied
power to mine, I got a very weak, feeble spark.  I
found that I had accidentally hooked up my 240v to two
of the adjustment taps instead of to the main winding.
Boy did I feel silly! Once I got one of my mains on
the primary input tap, the thing stood up and roared
with any sort of resistive or inductive ballast I
cared to try. I hope you can get yours going. Pigs are
definitely worth the trouble.

Cheers,

Greg
www.angelfire-dot-com/ga3/tesla