RE: Strange results / Coil specs

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the data!  Now we got something to chew on :-)

Your primary coil has an inductance of 110.46uH.  The fact that you are on
the very end is a sign you are out of tune!

A 6.27nF cap and a 110.46uH primary give a frequency of 191.2kHz.

The secondary inductance is 24.14mH

The Fo frequency of the secondary calculated to 164.6kHz but E-Tesla6's
diagnostic file indicates the top terminal dimensions were a little messed
up or I didn't read it right:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SimonDiag.gif

The top terminal looks too low and maybe the dimensions were not right.
However if I were to guess at the correction the Fo frequency is probably
around 155kHz.

So there is a big problem.  The primary is tuned to 191kHz and the
secondary is 155kHz.  There are two ways to fix that.

1.  Remove the top most terminal and leave the small one as is.  This
lowers the secondary capacitance and raises the frequency of the secondary
to be closer to the primary.  If the top terminal is removed, I get Fo =
209.6kHz :-))  Now you can tap your primary in a little and hit that.  That
will be at around 14.75 turns.

2.  Increase your primary cap size.  That will lower the primary frequency
and again bring you into the range where you can tune by taping the primary
coil down.

It is a bit scary turning these things on full power the first time without
a variac.  Run for very short bursts until you are sure everything is ok.

The protection filter numbers don't seem right.  You want about 5K with
about 0.5nF of capacitance per leg.  Two resistors in series will give 6K
at 22 watts which should be fine.  You gave the capacitance as "6*0.47 ==
0.282 ufD".  If the individual caps are in series, the value is divided by
the number of caps.  I'll assume you meant 6 caps in series at 0.047uF each
which would give a value of 0.047/6 == 0.00783uF which is about 10 times
too much!  You want 0.0005uF or close to that.

I guess I don't know what a "SSPG" spark gap is ?:-|  What does "SSPG"
stand for?  The gap should be fine in any case.

So take off the top terminal and recheck the filter R and C setup.  Tap the
primary at 14.75 turns to start and it should go real good.  Use short
bursts at first to be sure all is well.

Thanks again for the great data.  It makes all the difference in the world :-))

Cheers,

	Terry