RE: LTR Pig Project - Long Post!

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi Shad,

Last summer I did a few experiments trying to get LTR with my pig. I blew a
couple of caps out of one string in my small MMC which has 11 caps in
series. The large MMC which was in parallel at the time and has 14 caps in
series was not affected. After the fact I did the math and discovered that I
had not gotten into the LTR condition, but just into resonance.

I am hoping to build a variable inductor soon with enough inductance to get
LTR with even a relatively small cap. I had tried using 10AWG THHN, but the
measured results never matched the math. I thought that maybe the thickness
of the insulation was causing the wire to be spaced further apart and
lowering the inductance. I plan to get a 50 lb spool of 10 AWG magnet wire
to wind the inductor with.

I do agree 100 % with your reasoning about using LTR mode with a pig. It
makes great sense.

later
deano