Re: Inductive something or other

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 03:57 PM 28/01/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

>Hi All....
>
>the idea is to create an adjustable inductor ( electrically) for pig
>ballasting.
>
>what I did was wind 2 coils in the same direction and placed them on the 2
>outer portions of the E core.
>The middle core was wound with an other coil but wound in the opposite
>direction of the 2 outer coils.

<snip>

>what do yall think????    am i just making an complicated voltage
>controller or is it reducing the current
>flow in the process ???    Does this thingy have potential to be a
>ballasting item for piggies?  Orrrr
>is it just a complicated, expensive add on to a variac ( which would do the
>same thing)??
>
>Gonna go think about this some more .......
>
>Scot D

Hi Scot,

What you've built is a variation of what is called a saturable reactor.
The only difference is that a S.R. uses D.C. on the control winding.
Carry on with your experimenting...I'll be curious, along with the
other coilers, to hear the results of an actual trial with your
device hooked up to a Tesla coil as the load!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca