Re: filter question

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 08:05 AM 30/01/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

>i have a question to those that know something about line filters.
>my question is:how do i figure the value of the caps? should i take
>the values given for the components of the 30 amp filter and double
>everything to offer 60 amp protection?
>
>thank you for any help or pointing me towards any sites that will help.
>
>marc metlicka

Hi Marc & coilers,

I think you'd be fine with going with the original value of the caps,
but regarding the inductor part of the filter, the windings will be
handling up to twice the current, so a wire size increase is needed.

Basically the "filtering" function as it pertains to the R.F. isn't
changing at all, you just need higher current capabilities.  If you
wind new inductors that have the same measured value as the old ones
had, but with heavier guage wire, you should be all set.

It's the capacitance in conjuction with the inductance that sets the
filter's R.F. filtering abilities with respect to frequency.  You're
just upping the amps it will be required to pass.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca