Re: spark gap question...

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

hello malcolm,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> HI Marc,
>

> I would just like to say that a scope waveform of your gap stopping
> the primary in its tracks would be most convincing. It is one thing
> to stop a power arc in the gap but quite another to kill a tuned
> circuit in full swing. By what mechanism does the driving circuity
> actually turn the gap off?

in the blown triggered setup, which i should actually call the vacuum
triggered setup, i have the 1.5" glass tube that houses the gap, hooked
to a central vacuum unit for a house. this unit pulls incredible amounts
of air using an actual turbine style impeller. connected to the glass
tube it pulls such a high velocity of air that the first time i started
it, it "sucked" the gap through the hose, main gap leads and all :-O,
the air literally "screams" going into the tube.
so with a gap spacing of the main electrodes at 3\4" - 1" and the
trigger electrode slightly off center to the anode, the gap doesn't
conduct without the trigger pulse using the 12\30 nst, the combination
of the air and wide spacing just doesn't seem to let it support itself.
i have looked at this on the scope but i have to learn the storage
feature of my new scope, i will try to get something asap to show.
i am attaching the trigger pulse driver schematic that i was and will
use for terry to kindly post. i will say that when using this driver, as
i adjusted the triggered pulses up the gap firing could be heard to
almost sing as the arc increased in frequency?
more to come soon i hope,

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/vardrvr.JPG
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/vardrvradj.JPG

marc