Re: I'm trying this at home.

I wonder whether some of this advice isn't off the mark somewhat:

On 1 Jul 01, at 15:46, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

> Duck,
>
> Many of the list will tell you to "don't do this!", but you seem determined.
>
> So, first do it with a good sized uncooked room temperature roast of some
> sort.  Measure the temperature of the roast on the surface and at several
> depths inside - probably all the same temperature.  Then put the roast on
> the metal platform and run some power through it for a while, letting the
> discharge arc from a fork stuck in it.  Then shut down the TC and repeat the
> temperature measurements.
>
> Presumably the temperature will have risen some from the RF energy passing
> through the roast.  In other words, it has been cooked some.
>
> Now, think about that.  Do you really want to cook yourself?  Would you want
> to climb in an industrial microwave oven which will also cook yourself?   I
> hope not.

Microwave ovens operate on a fundamentally different principle - they
resonate water molecules at a frequency around 2.4GHz or so. A number
people have sat on top of coils and allowed sparks to issue from a
discharge rod held in their hands. Scientific American featured Bill
Wysock doing exactly this in a 1993 article on lightning. I'd say
that if you need to ask how to safely do it, don't do it.
      Probably the major hazard is allowing a spark issuing from your
body or discharge point to connect with mains and/or primary wiring -
both lethal.

Malcolm