Re: Riding t-loads, and other dangerous stuff.

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

Chris, Garry, Jeff, Brent, Terry, List:

A few years ago (long before I started my coiling adventures), I attended
The Wonders of Physics Show at the University of Wisconsin - Madison (UWM)
(http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/wop.htm) .  This is a MAJOR
engineering and physics school (along with several other majors).  It was
put on by a couple professors and students (presumably the Society of
Physics Students).  This show was given for an audience of primarily 8-14
year olds with their parents.  I went since I was a part of the Society of
Physiscs students at a nearby university.   The show was taped, and I guess
is aired occasionally on PBS or the likes, and is available for purchase
on thier web site (I went to the 2-15-98 show).

The demos included your standard mechanical (momentum, waves, temperature)
and electrical (resistance, inductance, static, and tesla coil) demos.
This included a largish Tesla Coil
(http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/photos/wop/1999/0002.jpg).  They discussed
a Faraday cage, then stuck a kid of about 10 y/o in a 4'x4'x6'tall chain
link fence Faraday Cage and fired the coil
(http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/photos/wop/1999/0018.jpg).  As a Tesla Coil
finale, they brought in a faculty member who sat on an insulated platform
(shown being erected:
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/photos/wop/2000/016.JPG) and performed the
"flaming fingertips" demo, as well as held a flourescent bulb,
etc(http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/photos/wop/2000/017.JPG).  Recall that
this was for a crowd of 8-14y/o kids, primarily.  I don't recall if they
used the "skin effect" bulloney (bulogna) or not......

I would like to go see this show again (it's cool for any age :-), and pick
thier brains about this issue a bit....

Jonathan, I agree completely with you.

Mark Broker
G-5 Geek #10
Chief Engineer

7/3/01 12:41:03 PM, Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

<snip>