Re: low temp resistance?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/4/01 3:26:53 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> My suggestion is to try it inductive-only first, and
> then add series or parallel resistance if you have
> problems.  For my own part, I used a couple of shorted
> MOTs to limit my pole transformer mains current to
> 20A, and I never had any trouble with it.  Later, I
> switched over to an AC arc welder, and I haven't had
> any trouble with that either.  I'm not using any
> resistance, and it works fine.  I say try it without
> any resistance first, and then fix as needed.
>

> Greg

< The resistor removed the thump and let the coil run smooth. But again, I
< personally would only use one if needed because power lost to heat is power
< lost
< to sparks. I have a new coil now and won't be using the resistor for this
one.
< But I keep it handy just in case.

< Take care,
< Bart

Chris,

I have to concur with Greg and Bart on this issue. I, like you,
do not like the idea of having to deal with fire-proofing the re-
sistive ballast(s) so I've only utilized an inductive (arc welder) bal-
last to muzzle the might of my pole pig. I think I have experi-
enced some "thumping" with my coil with this setup, but it is
not bad enough to cause me to submit to adding the red-hot
power wasting heater elements to my ballasting network. Be-
sides, the pole pig is built like Ft. Knox and has never even
hiccupped from the minor thumping kickbacks. I figure the pig
would probably be the last thing to fail from this. I'm using this
to run my coil asynch. Don't try this with an NST farm!

So try it with an inductive only ballast first :-)

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben