RE: Magnetic wire

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

As a long-time RadioShack employee, let me suggest that you not consider RS
a source of enough wire to wind a decent sized secondary. While Tandy Wire
and Cable manufactures thousands of feet of great copper wire, management
still sees fit to package it in tiny amounts. They won't even sell bulk to
me and I know the manager personally! I just got through rewinding a
secondary with about 1650 feet of #24 wire. Typically the most RS packages
now are 50 foot rolls.
My green wire was purchased from Paramount in NJ. http://www.parawire-dot-com
Their magnetic wire is fine and the insulation is a bit heavier than most. I
mic'ed it to be certain. But there are so many sources of wire from free to
very expensive that many can suggest good starting places. Motor rewinding
shops are a good, cheap source too.
On the other hand, for internal conenctions, I do suggest consideration of
RS's #8 'mega-cable.'
This multistranded vinyl covered wire is extremely flexible, available in
red and black and will work well for your tank circuit etc. It is easily
tipped with 1/4 inch connectors.
It will be using it, encased in 1/2 rubber air-hose and PL-259 plugs on the
ends to connect the HV out of my 15/60 NST to the coil base cabinet. The
external beefy insulation is to be sure that no leakage occurs to a
potentially damp concrete floor at the Hangman's House of Horrors, the
coil's living quarters during October.

End of Sales Pitch

Safety First

Ted