RE: dimmer switches

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Terry:

The dimmer failed in the full-ON mode.  Beyond being full-ON, there were
no fireworks.  The edge of the circuit board was very close to the metal
case, and there was a PC trace very close to the edge of the board.
There was a carbon track from that trace to the edge of the board.  I
had an R-C snubber circuit across the two dimmer terminals, but this had
no bearing on the case-to-trace arc.

I didn't follow what you meant by "a different source impedance to the
typical Telsa coil circuit".  Were you thinking of using such a dimmer
to control the NST  ?  I just used it mine on a "universal" vacuum
cleaner motor for my static gap.  Wow, the saturating shunts on NST's
are enough of a mystery with a sinusoid input.  I can't fathom what
chopped AC will do!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Gary,
>
>I was basically thinking of taking a common store bought dimmer and
adding
>a few protection circuits to protect it from such things.  What did it
do
>to the dimmer?  Did it short to the always on condition?, catch fire?
Just