From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 18:58:26 -0600
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: what capacitor for TC...other newbie questions

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> The Geek Group would be happy to supply you with MMC caps at wonderfully low
> prices. And if you get the .15 size the order should go in this week :).
> We're getting VERY close on both sizes for our big order.
>

> >From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> >Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
> >
> >Hi Mike,
> >
> >Welcome to the list :-)
> >
> >Many of us are using "MMC capacitors" that are made of many smaller
> >capacitors.  See:
> >
> > <A HREF="http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm"
TARGET="_new"><FONT
COLOR="BLUE">http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm</FONT></A>

> >They are pretty easy to make and can be far cheaper than commercial caps.
> >Be sure to check into this.  the cap will have to easily handle about 10
> >amps RMS at say 200kHz.  It needs special high current construction so as
> >not to fail due to the high RF currents.
> >
> >With a 15/60 transformer and a static (as opposed to a rotary) gap.  You
> >will want a capacitor value in the 15-20nF range.  The cap should be about
> >30kV for a commercial cap but an MMC can be 20kV since they are tough.  Be
> >sure to use saftey spark gaps to protect the NST and caps from overvoltage.
> >
> >Spark gaps can be from very simple pipe sections to sync rotary gaps:
> >
> > <A HREF="http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/RQGap.htm"
TARGET="_new"><FONT
COLOR="BLUE">http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/RQGap.htm</FONT></A>
> > <A HREF="http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/terrygap.jpg"
TARGET="_new"><FONT
COLOR="BLUE">http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/terrygap.jpg</FONT></A>
> > <A
HREF="http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SmallCoil/small_gap1.jpg"
TARGET="_new"><FONT
COLOR="BLUE">http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SmallCoil/small_gap1
.jpg</FONT></A>

> >There is also the air "vortex" style gap that people really like.
> >
> > <A HREF="http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/vortexgap.htm"
TARGET="_new"><FONT
COLOR="BLUE">http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/vortexgap.htm</FONT></A>

> >Lots of choices for spark gaps...
> >
> >28ga wire has about 73 turns per inch so 35 inches will give ~2500 turns
> >which is sort of high.  24ga "may" be a bit better choice but 28 will work.
> >  However, be sure your primary circuit can tune the coil.  You may need
> >some extra turns on the primary...  There are computer programs an "us" to
> >help you with all that if you need.
> >
> >Hope this helps.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >	Terry
> >

> >At 04:20 PM 7/5/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> > >hello all,
> > >my name is mike secord, i have recently joined the
> > >tesla list, and would like very much to attempt to
> > >build a coil, i plan on using a polycarbonate hollow
> > >rod, 5in OD-36in long, 28ga magnet wire, a france
> > >15000v/60ma nst, my primary will be constructed from
> > >.375in OD soft copper tubing (30 deg conical). i have
> > >asssembled these materials so far,but i still need a
> > >spark gap controller, and a capacitor bank. i saw the
> > >web site for capacitor industries:
> > > <A HREF="http://www.capacitorindustries-dot-com/materials.htm"
TARGET="_new"><FONT
COLOR="BLUE">http://www.capacitorindustries-dot-com/materials.htm</FONT></A>