Re: Dual layer primaries

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Jason

I don't know how to calculate it, I think it's call mutual inductance.
I was thinking of building a primary like that for the
possibility of grounding the secondary to the inside turn ( less
arcing between coils ) if you use an equidrive system with center
tap tranny and the possibility of fine tuning if you play with
the distance between the 2 half primary coil, an other advantage
of this setup is it take less space.

If you build it please keep us inform of your progress and resulte.

Cheers,

Luc Benard

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any idea as to how to calculate inductance for a two level
> primary? I'm talking about a primary coil that is wound with two layers both
> going the same direction and seperated by an inch or so, inner turns
connected
> together, and tapped in two places, one on the bottom half, one on the top
> half. I know that I can't just calc. for one primary and then double it,
> because the halves are going to have some mutual inductance, resulting in a
> higher overall inductance than just doubling one of half the size, right?
Does