Re: Report - Dimmer as a Variac.

Hi Dave,
         The sort of approach I'd use would be offline active PFC
followed by a PWM H-bridge directly feeding the load. Cycle by cycle
current sensing/control would be a must. The PWM would of course be
set by finger tip control (a crummy old carbon pot :). The above
approach (together with the appropriate common-mode filters) should
address the issues you raise below. Some differential filtering of
the H-bridge output may be necessary - mandatory for motors to avoid
micro-machining the shaft, but probably not necessary for running a
NST (self-filtering). Am I reading your post correctly?

Regards,
Malcolm

On 7 Jul 01, at 20:44, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

> Terry, All
>
> OUCH!!!    =8*][.  What was surprising to me was the integration (PF)
capacitor