Creepage increases streamer length - food for thought <was: Trying this at home>

Original poster: "Hall, Dale by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Dale.Hall-at-trw-dot-com>

Sue, Scott & List,

We may all be utilizing the "creepage" phenomena to produce corona and
streamers !

  just that most prefer the

    gas - gas (Air) XYZ dielectric dynamic boundaries commonly available
however inconsistent
          rather than the

    gas - solid XY axis dielectric boundary (more consistent but with usage
constraints)

          some consider this "cheating"
          but isn't Air gas 'control' necessary to be fair (Not cheat) ?

          Or must we design TC's robust enough to
             perform well into widely variant loads,
             i.e. our typical uncontrolled gas mixture - Air ?

I have used the "solid - gas dielectric boundary" (creepage) phenomena
  for many years with my single shot battery powered DC TC's to achieve
  consistent 38" Air discharges (blue-white) over glass or hard plastic at
4.9J per bang.

I chose this "air discharge over a solid dielectric boundary"

  as method of streamer discharge CONTROL,

    (concentrates charge at the dielectric boundary)
    (influencing likely path which increases streamer length compared to
gas only)

  to bring consistency to streamer observation w/repeatable lengths for
electrical evaluation.

The dynamics of air discharge presents extreme variance (turbulence, Air
gas mixture),
  challenging the observer/researcher's control.

Some assumptions:
1.) Use low bangs per second (~<1 to ~10)
    to avoid surface heat build up of the solid to not evolve its material
as another gas
    (SiO2 doesn't break down easily to participate but is fragile)

    (note any carbon tracking on SiO2 Sec form is due to wire insulation)
    (enamel, polyU, insects, Not the glass !)

2.) The desired arc/streamer is produced within and from the
    gas constituent "Air" portion above the solid boundary
    evidenced visually by a bright blue-white arc/streamer.

Other visual arc/streamer color variations indicate
 participation of the solid dielectric (yellow, orange, red, etc.)
 altering the control value (but not aesthetics of arc viewing)
 or a gas concentration of other than normal N2 O2 + derivatives
    Air gas type (neon = orange, etc.)

Here are some thoughts as to an enabling mechanism:

The boundary between any two dielectrics (especially great as solid to gas)
presents

a decreased reactance Xc = 1/(2PiFC) via a virtual capacitance

at any dielectric boundary

creating a preferential charge path

  (compared to smaller magnitude differential Z variations in/from
   our typical case - gas air turbulence/gas combination around the topload)

initially at the PRI / SEC ring-up frequency = ~200Khz in the pre-corona stage,

then at much higher corona oscillatory frequencies as corona develops,

  (higher freq lower Xc)
  (exposing more preferentially lower resistance paths - LEADERS ??)

leading to higher current streamer discharge at yet different oscillation
frequencies

  (I've scoped corona/streamers between ~1MHz to ~30MHz)

supplied (fed) by the topload (charged) to ground capacitance.

Interesting speculation: the whole process of leader growth

may be driven by this mechanism by the dielectric dynamics of N2 O2 O3 etc.

within the topload to ground, gas dielectric, capacitive environment.

It is not this simple, streamers also possess inductance and complex paths.

Anyone up for a potential doctoral subject
 to develop, test with controls and present
 the 1st order LCR Air Discharge Model Mechanism ?

Regards, Dale
Redondo Beach, CA