Re: 811A first light

Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

Unfortunately I never saw any of the previous postings on this thread.

Although I see Brent was careful (thanx Brent) to preface this carefully as
'Hooooeeeey!', I wish to point out that as the inventor of the Coronatron I
reserve the intellectual property copyright on this name and immediate family
of descendant derivatives.  I will not consider releasing it until it has made
me at least ten cents profit.

As for the 4-1000.... I fully recognize that employing whatever components that
one can lay their hands on in the Tesla coil hobby is the rule, however I have
this to say. I get 22" out of a single 833A (without tube damage).  I would
expect 28" or better from a 3-1000 (an experiment I've never tried).  From a
4-1000 I would expect possibly 24" but more likely grief, a melted screen grid
and thusly a ruined tube.  Tetrodes are ill suited to this application, which
would explain why industry doesn't use them in self-driven industrial
oscillators.  There is no shortage of entirely adequate large transmitting
triodes available for this application.

Dr. John, sell that new brand 4-1000 and socket to an amateur who needs it for
his big homebrew linear (ebay hint hint) and use the money to buy a valve with
one less 'ode.  If you have a TV station plate xfmer it sounds like a tube even
beefier than a something-1000 is in order. Try to find an external anode
glass-metal 3-2500 or newer ceramic-metal 3CX2500 with flying filament leads.
I had one until recently when, since I'm not doing any coiling anymore,  it got
traded for a vintage TV set to an amateur who wanted it to melt ice off his
antenna.   I have an Eimac 3CX10,000D which I'd trade for the right, round CRT
vintage TV set, ....if you want to get really creative.

If you are an amateur that wants to melt ice off his antenna quickly, I also
have a Eimac 4CX15,000D with socket and filament transformer available.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
AREA31 Research Facility
AREA31 Radio Observatory