RE: 811A first light

Original poster: "Ross Overstreet by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>

I got 28" out of a 3-1000z by overvolting it (~5KVAC & 1A on the plate).  I
even have a nifty video of its death when I left the power up for a little
too long.  (It already had internal damage.  If it was going to die anyway I
was determined to get it on video).
http://users.better-dot-org/roverstreet/projects/tube_coil/tube.htm

I recently acquired a new 3-1000z and will continuing my work with the
3-1000z VTTC (and a little more carefully this time).
I want to set it up for infinitely long run times without overheating.  Past
experience tells me that I'll probably only be getting 12-18" arcs with raw
AC operation if I keep things cool.

Best Regards,
Ross-O

-----------------

Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility  <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

...snip...

As for the 4-1000.... I fully recognize that employing whatever components
that
one can lay their hands on in the Tesla coil hobby is the rule, however I
have
this to say. I get 22" out of a single 833A (without tube damage).  I would
expect 28" or better from a 3-1000 (an experiment I've never tried).  From a
4-1000 I would expect possibly 24" but more likely grief, a melted screen
grid
and thusly a ruined tube.  Tetrodes are ill suited to this application,
which
would explain why industry doesn't use them in self-driven industrial
oscillators.  There is no shortage of entirely adequate large transmitting
triodes available for this application.

...snip...

Robert W. Stephens
Director