RE: TC efficiency, was Math help...

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

John Couture,
             I've built half a dozen 3.5 x 12 inch TCs, all with different
wire diameters (500 to 2000 turns) and many primaries (5 to 25 turns),
and many Caps, and many Toroids, and many spark gaps.

The best I've gotten is about 12" (maybe 14") streamers from a 9/30 NST.
J Freau's calculation of 1.7 * sqrt(watts)  =>  28", so I'm off by a
factor of two.

As far as I can tell J Freau's formula only applies to 6x24" and larger coils.

I'll admit that I still have to try blown and synchronous-rotary gaps though.

And I'll have to admit that streamer length is not the same as "efficiency"
the way you are talking about it...

YMMV,

-Peter Lawrence.