A few questions and thanks

Original poster: "Chris Brick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cbrick-at-rebelbase-dot-com>

First, the thanks...  To Jim Heagy for hosting a great
event.  Unfortunately I could only make it for Saturday evening but it was
well worth it.  To Kennan for having one of the coolest coils I have ever
seen, amazing discharges for such small input power.  Oh, and a thanks to
Greg and Kelek for lighting the fire under my butt to get the big coil
project back on the bench.  I met a lot of great folks there but didn't get
enough names...let's do it again real soon.

Questions:

I haven't been able to get the equation working to figure out joules per
cap.  I have 4 Maxwell .02uF 45KV pulse caps that I will be running in
parallel.  I have always been terrible with math but can run a nationwide
network in my sleep, go figure.

Maxwell caps have a fill screw on one end which is also the end that is
marked for high voltage.
Are there any problems running them on their sides?
If there is air space in the cap, should it be filled or have others found
this to be ok?

I am going to need to discharge the caps remotely after shutdown.  I have
read where others have used a pole with a wire and resistor to softly
(hmmmm....) bring the voltage down instead of one big crack.  Any advice on
resistor values and design consideration would be very welcome.

I will be powering my coil with one (or more) of
these:  http://www.teslacoils-dot-org/rcs1000/index.html

I'll try to take pictures of the whole process and document the design
decisions on www.teslacoils-dot-org.

Thanks,

Chris