Re: Math help...

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

> In the losses you mention above what are the magnetic circuit flux losses in
> the transfer of energy between the pri and sec coils? How do you calculate
> these flux losses?

All the losses are counted. Most of the losses are resistive, with
wires or air in the primary gap heating (and even emitting light and
sound) whilecurrent passes, but there are also dielectric losses, and
in the case of magnetic fields, parasitic coupling to surrounding
structures and irradiation of electromagnetic waves. All these effects
are similar, and I suggested that they can be modelled by a single
"effective primary resistance", as if the only loss in the circuit
were a single resistance in series with the primary circuit. This is
not exactly correct. At least one primary resistance and one secondary
resistancewould be required for a correct lumped model, but I don't
see some simple method to separate both effects.

> With the "effective primary resistance" what part does the magnetic flux
> losses play?

Coupling to surrounding -magnetic- structures (I am not counting
induction
of currents in conductors, because then the loss is just Joule effect
on them), and irradiation of electromagnetic waves. The later effect can
be calculated, by considering the structure as an antenna (don't ask
me how...)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz