Re: Three phase TC

>Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
>
>Brain, Jim, Chris, and all,
>
>Although getting 2 resonators to operate 180 degrees out of phase is simple
>with disruptive systems, getting TRUE three-phase operation (resonators
>actually oscillating 120 electrical degrees apart) has thus far only been
>done electronically or via a high speed 3-phase alternators. In April,
>2000, Duane Bylund discussed his solid state 3-phase and 6-phase systems on
>this list. Duane used three identical resonators, each driven 120 degrees
>apart from synchronized MOSFET drivers. Unfortunately, Duane's web site
>appears to be down, but I did save some of the pictures at the time. A
>couple of unique pictures show 3-phase "Y" discharges between resonators -
>this characteristic discharge can only be accomplished from a true
>three-phase system. These can be seen at:
>http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/14.jpg
>http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/15.jpg

Very cool pics. I remember seeing these before a while ago. Whle the main
purpose of the coil is a bipolar system, I definately want to experiment
with a tripolar setup.

>HOWEVER, Jim's idea may actually work for disruptive systems - by using
>precisely triggered spark gaps on three independent (but otherwise
>identical) coils. A triggered spark gap, when properly set up, can be
>repeatably triggered with relatively little jitter (~10-20 nS).

Marc's gaps could be used I would imagine.

If we use a
>lower operating frequency for the coils, the effects of this jitter can be
>further reduced. In the example Brian provided, a sequence of high voltage
>trigger pulses, each separated by 1.67 uSec, would be sufficient to
>initially time-phase the three systems by 120 electrical degrees. However,
>it's not clear that this phase relationship will be maintained once
>significant energy begins to be exchanged between them...

That's the thing. I don't want to run these for microsecond bursts. I'm
shooting for 30sec runs at least. Preferably with the Wye discharge. It
looks much cooler than the Delta would. I'd like to have all 3 gaps computer
controlled to be able to vary firing time and sequencing independantly to
see the effects of changing things in realtime.

>Best regards,
>
>-- Bert --

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1